Wednesday, November 02, 2005

On the Baker

Hello everyone from onboard the USNS Mount Baker (T-AE 34). Yes, I'm on board an ammunition supply ship working for MSC as a 3rd Assistant Engineer on watch. We're moving around somewhere in the Persian Gulf, ready to supply other ships, but I don't really care about that, I just care about the engine plant downstairs. Luckily, we get some television (The AFN or Armed forces network), so we can watch SOME television, but only programs "approved" by the military. I suppose it's better than nothing (there is an overwhelming amount of news programs and sports programs being shown). Oddly enough, there is limited internet access (I say limited, I mean speed, we DO share satellite bandwidth with the other communications devices), and we also have our shipboard email by which I am sending this post.

Before you ask, I am NOT in the Navy, I am a civilian working FOR the navy, hence my current email address is
HENRY-dot-W-dot-SCHARF-dot-CIV-at-MSC-dot-NAVY-dot-MIL.  (I wrote it in this format to avoid spammers, the lowercase are the periods and @ symbols). If you wish to contact me, go ahead, I relish daily contact with the outside world. Plus, since the internet access is so slow, there is very little chance I will be checking my blog for comments or my other email (gmail, yahoo) for messages, but my ship's email I'll be checking at least twice daily.

I'm sorry for being away, but I'll try to update by emailing to my blog every now and then.
Thanks for your patience my fellow friends.
-Henry Scharf, Civilian
3rd Assistant Engineer (watch)
USNS Mount Baker (T-AE 34)

No comments: